http://www.makepovertyhistory.org Mainiax: Arthur Lavoie 1918-2006

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Arthur Lavoie 1918-2006

My grandfather passed away today at 2:45. I had went to visit for lunch and left at 12:30 my grandmother called me at 3: I went directly there and stayed until the funeral home came to pick him up. Because he was in the VA home they covered him in a US flag it was quite something to see all the disabled veterans coming out of there rooms no matter how sick they were and line the halls to watch us pass. Here are a few photos of my papa I dont have a scanner to show you pictures of him younger when he was full of hell. But that is how I will remember him always.
I love you PaPa my you rest in piece.

















edited to ad his obit that was online:

Arthur A. Lavoie, 88
SCARBOROUGH -- Arthur A. Lavoie, 88, formerly of Biddeford, died Thursday, July 6, 2006, at the Maine Veterans Home in Scarborough. He was born in Lowell, Mass., on June 26, 1918, the son of Joseph and Rose Ann Berry Lavoie, and was educated in Biddeford schools, graduating from St. Louis High School with the class of 1936. He then attended Penn State College of Optometry.
Mr. Lavoie served in the United States Navy as a gunner in a flying squadron during World War II.
On Oct. 28, 1939, he married Gilberte L. LeBlond at St. Joseph's Church in Biddeford. She died Sept. 22, 1987.
On May 11, 1991, he married Lucille Descoteaux Croteau at St. Joseph's Church in Biddeford.
He served his machinist apprenticeship at Saco Lowell Shop, and then transferred to the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, Kittery. For 33 and a half years, he was employed at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. He retired as General Foreman in 1973. He also worked part time as a Security guard at Rich's Department Store.
He was a commander of the American Legion Post #96 of Saco, State Americanism Officer, and for two years as Maine Department officer. He was a member of the Elks Lodge of Biddeford-Saco, VFW, Amvets, NARFF, the Toastmaster Club and AAA. He is a lifetime member of the Knights of Columbus and Charter member of St. Joseph's Council, Biddeford.
He sang in the choir at St. Joseph's Church for over a period of 50 years. He was a former five terms Biddeford City Councilor.
He lived in Biddeford from 1929 to 1991, when he moved to Lady Lake, Fla. At Lady Lake he was a member of the American Legion Post #347, the Villages Homeowners Association, and the fraternal order of Police.
In Florida he attended St. Timothy's Catholic Church. He returned to Biddeford in 1995.
He was predeceased by two brothers, Delphis Lovoie and Alfred Gagnon, and by two sisters, Jeannette Barker and Dolores Desmarais.
Surviving are his wife of 15 years, Lucille Lavoie of Biddeford; two daughters: Elaine Kadlec and her husband James Murphy of Biddeford; and Carmen Pariseau and her husband Robert of Springville, Tenn.; one stepson: Norman Croteau of Saco; one sister: Corinne Nelson of Portland; five grandsons; nine great-grandchildren; one step- granddaughter; one step-grandson; six step-great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews
Visiting hours will be 6 to 8 p.m. on Monday, at Hope Memorial Chapel. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. on Tuesday at St. Joseph's Church in Biddeford. Burial will be in St. Joseph's Cemetery in Biddeford. Arrangements are by Hope Memorial Chapel, 480
Elm Street, Biddeford, Maine 04005.
Memorial donations in Arthur's name may be made to:
St. James School
25 Graham St.
Biddeford, Maine 04005
Arthur A. Lavoie

10 Comments:

At 6:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

aww sweetie I am so sorry for your loss.
*hugs* You and your family will be in my thoughts.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger devilishsouthernbelle.net said...

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandfather. I was very close to, and have lost, both of mine. I know how you feel! *hugs*

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I really am sorry to read this as well. My father suffered for so long, I actually wanted him to go, but I know everyone is different. I suck at knowing what to say, but I'm thinking of you.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

*Hugs* So sorry about your grandfather. Remember we are here for you.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Sheri said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of you PaPa. May he rest in peace.

Hugs to you.

 
At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

he looks like he was a cool dude.

peace to your family.

e+

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger eric said...

anonymous was me.

e+

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger dan said...

i offer condolences for you loss.

x
dan

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Shelby said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, it sounds like he was an incredible person!

Shelby

 
At 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shell, why didn't you call me or email me? I have been so busy off in my own world, I haven't been checking anyones blogs for weeks.
I'm so sorry about Papa. He was always wonderful and will be greatly missed. :(

Kat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home