http://www.makepovertyhistory.org Mainiax: the shrinking mittens

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

the shrinking mittens

I am a slow knitter and was proud of myself to have knitted a pair of mittens for my 6 year old in a week. Last Saturday we went to seacoast snowtubing park and he keeps taking his new mittens off. I tell him put them back on, he gives me the look, all you moms know the look and he'd put them back on.
We get back to the truck and I look at the mittens and tell him I'm sorry honey I didnt think they would do that, I made them with wool and thought they would be warm but now they might fit a 2 year old. all day while we were playing his new mittens were shrinking and shrinking no wonder he kept telling me they felt funny. He is such a good boy I said "Mike why didnt you tell me they were getting smaller" and him being the cutey he is said " I didnt want to make you sad, but dont worry I can give them to my friend his mom is having a baby" isnt he the best kid I swear sometimes he's an angel and other times mmmm you know that he came from the place down below. the day wasnt a total loss we did have alot of fun and I learned to make a little boys mittens out of something other than wool unless you WANT him to felt them for you.


below is a picture of my boys and the incredible shrinking mittens. the orange mitten is the size the grey one started out as, and no the orange one is NOT wool. I hope we get more real snow soon this was all man made we had a couple of inches the other day. the park only had 3 lanes open but usually has 5 I cant wait to go back before the end of the season.

2 Comments:

At 6:59 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

*snickers*
I can't help but giggle at the thought of those mittens shrinking as the poor little guy was wearing them.

Who knew?

 
At 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's too bad - I wonder if using superwash yarn would have prevented that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home